Command Hospital Air Force Bangalore (CHAFB), is the only Command Hospital of Indian Air Force had its beginning as a small 50-bedded Military Hospital, which was raised for British troops in 1816 at Bangalore. The hospital shifted to its present location (Agram) in 1868 and during World War-II its bed strength was raised to 300. In 1962 the bed strength of the hospital was further increased to 602 beds. On 01 May 1968 this Military Hospital Bangalore was taken over by Indian Air Force in exchange for Air Force Hospital Secunderabad, which became MH Secunderabad.
On 22 Dec 1977 this Air Force Hospital was upgraded and designated as Command Hospital Air Force Bangalore (CHAFB) and on 05 Nov 84 the command of the hospital upgraded to the rank of Air Vice Marshal. Presently in addition to the 800 regular patient care beds, the hospital is authorized 150 battle casualty beds and 50 crisis expansion beds.